FeinCMS - An extensible Django-based CMS¶
FeinCMS is an extremely stupid content management system. It knows nothing about content – just enough to create an admin interface for your own page content types. It lets you reorder page content blocks using a drag-drop interface, and you can add as many content blocks to a region (f.e. the sidebar, the main content region or something else which I haven’t thought of yet). It provides helper functions, which provide ordered lists of page content blocks. That’s all.
Adding your own content types is extremely easy. Do you like markdown that much, that you’d rather die than using a rich text editor? Then add the following code to your project, and you can go on using the CMS without being forced to use whatever the developers deemed best:
from markdown2 import markdown from feincms.module.page.models import Page from django.db import models class MarkdownPageContent(models.Model): content = models.TextField() class Meta: abstract = True def render(self, **kwargs): return markdown(self.content) Page.create_content_type(MarkdownPageContent)
That’s it. Only ten lines of code for your own page content type.
- Installation instructions
- The built-in page module
- Content types - what your page content is built of
- What is a content type anyway?
- Rendering contents in your templates
- Implementing your own content types
- Customizing the render method for different regions
- Extra media for content types
- Influencing request processing through a content type
- Bundled content types
- Restricting a content type to a subset of regions
- Design considerations for content types
- Configuring and self-checking content types at creation time
- Obtaining a concrete content type model
- Administration interfaces
- Integrating 3rd party apps into your site
- Default page handler
- Generic and custom views
- Integrating 3rd party apps
- Adapting the 3rd party application for FeinCMS
- Registering the 3rd party application with FeinCMS’
- Writing the models
- Returning content from views
- Letting the application content use the full power of Django’s template inheritance
- More on reversing URLs
- Additional customization possibilities
- Letting 3rd party apps define navigation entries
- Media library
- Template tags
- Database migration support for FeinCMS
- Versioning database content with
- Advanced topics
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contributing to the development of FeinCMS
- FeinCMS Deprecation Timeline
- Added a style checking job to the CI matrix.
- Dropped compatibility with Django 1.7.
- Reformatted everything using black.
- Added a fallback import for the
staticfilestemplate tag library which will be gone in Django 3.0.
- Actually made use of the timeout specified as
FEINCMS_THUMBNAIL_CACHE_TIMEOUTinstead of the hardcoded value of seven days.
- Reverted the deprecation of navigation extension autodiscovery.
TranslatedObjectManager.only_languageto evaluate callables before filtering.
- Changed the
renderprotocol of content types to allow returning a tuple of
(ct_template, ct_context)which works the same way as feincms3’s template renderers.
- Added a central changelog instead of creating release notes per release because development is moving more slowly owing to the stable nature of FeinCMS.
- Fixed history (revision) form, recover form and breadcrumbs when FeinCMS is used with Reversion 2.0.x. This accommodates refactoring that took place in Reversion 1.9 and 2.0. If you are upgrading Reversion (rather than starting a new project), please be aware of the significant interface changes and database migrations in that product, and attempt upgrading in a development environment before upgrading a live site.
setup.pyso that dependencies are installed automatically again. Note that some combinations of e.g. Django and django-mptt are incompatible – look at the Travis CI build configuration to find out about supported combinations.
- Fixed a few minor compatibility and performance problems.
- Added a new
FEINCMS_THUMBNAIL_CACHE_TIMEOUTsetting which allows caching whether a thumb exists instead of calling
storage.exists()over and over (which might be slow with remote storages).
- Fixed random reordering of applications by using an ordered dictionary for apps.
- Increased the length of the caption field for media file translations.
feincms.contrib.taggingto actually work with Django versions after 1.9.x.
Old release notes¶
- FeinCMS 1.13 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.12 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.11 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.10 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.9 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.8 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.7 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.6 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.5 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.4 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.3 release notes
- FeinCMS 1.2 release notes